Tuesday 8 September 2009

Jam Sponge anyone?

Being naturally intrigued by all things to do with feminine hygiene, it surprised me when I came across the Jam Sponge. I have NEVER seen anything like this before. In short, it's a sponge that you stick up there and it calls upon its natural powers to absorb the blood.

In the name of duty, my Jam Sponge arrived today and unlike it's delicious counterpart, this made me feel a tad ill. I unwrapped it from the packaging and out fell a hard, hedgehog like 'thing'. My housemate, Rob, gave a girly scream and even I took a step back. My first thoughts were 'no was is that thing going up there.' For the basic package, you receive 2 sponges, one nicely presented in a garishly bright red bag. You also receive instructions, some sealable plastic bags to store the jam sponges in once they become saturated and... (now this is where it gets exciting) a badge.


The idea of this is pretty sound. It's environmentally friendly and entirely natural. You can re-use it for UP TO A YEAR. And sponges are likely to have been used as sanitary products hundreds of years ago. They have certainly be used fairly recently as contraceptives. You just have to overcome the fact you will get your hands dirty.



What most amused me was the tone of voice on the website [http://jamsponge.co.uk]

For example,
Q: How does a Jam Sponge work?
A: You simply squash it into your vagina and it soaks up the blood.

Q: Will I be able to swim and play tennis?
A: If you must, you can do anything you could do with a tampon in. Personally when I am on the blob I would rather sit hugging a hot water bottle, eating biscuits and snarling at people but each to their own. Allegedly you can have sex with a Jam Sponge in, but I have yet to try it, I will let you know when I do!

No beating around the bush (ahem).

I've decided not to trial this product myself. Who wants to volunteer?

3 comments:

  1. Amazing...whoever would have thought natural sponges could be so versatile? Can't wait for the usage report!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really delicious. All you need now is some kind of revolting custard sponge to go with it and dessert is sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't see the appeal of a hard hedgehog like thing up 'there'. Even the most hardened of hippies would have to grimace and mutter "I'm doing this for mother earth". Perhaps once its absorbed its business its softer but then I encounter another problem in my understanding of this product; how do you remove it without accidentally squeezing it?

    ReplyDelete